Wednesday 20 March 2013

Joy Juice


I'm going through a change of life right now. No, not that change of life! Being newlyweds, my husband and I are all starry-eyed about buying our first home together. BUT, Toronto is notoriously unfriendly to first-time buyers (It's super pricey here. Unless you don't mind living in a shoebox). We're on our way, but to speed up the process we've moved in with my in-laws so we can pad our downpayment. 

My in-laws are fabulous - so kind and generous, but this is tough for me. I'm so used to living on my own (read: walking around in my undies), so used to doing things my own way (read: spending 3 hours trying a new recipe and eating dinner at 9 as a consequence) that this change is throwing me off-kilter. I don't hate it, it just doesn't feel like home yet. 

I think through every major transition, it's important to take inventory - a little self-reflection is good for the soul and great to get you back on track to being you. So, when I came across Stratejoy and the Joy Juice journaling prompts, I new I had to give it a try!

In a nutshell - Joy Juice emails you a prompt every 3 days. Journal it, blog it, talk it out with a gal pal - however you want to get your juices going is up to you. Each month is based on a theme and by month 12, you'll love yourself so damn much and be on your way to taking over the world. Basically I expect to have the confidence of Beyonce when I'm through with this. 

Check out Stratejoy for more info. And follow me along my lovefest/journey of self-discovery. A word to the wise though: shit's about to get real. 

Because who doesn't feel happy when they seen a bunch of HUGE balloons?
· via ·

How am I spending my days right now? 

I spend most of the day, most of my days, sitting in front of a computer screen. I’m a copywriter, so that time in front of the computer is 60% writing and 40% clicking around the Internet reading blogs and looking up recipes. Ok, it’s 60-40 the other way and I’m looking at more recipes than blogs. (shhhhhhhh).

When I’m not working though, I usually pack a ton into my free time. I’m one of those people who can’t sit too still for too long. Don’t get me wrong, I can power through 4 seasons of Breaking Bad in 22 days (I’m still unsure if this is my proudest accomplishment or my worst shame), but after a day of not accomplishing something, I feel like a wreck. So, I spend my nights cooking dinner (a favourite activity of mine), spending time with my husband doing something new, catching up with friends over drinks, or most recently, going to yoga.

 What activities feel like they are holding me back? 

There is something I spend a lot of time doing that doesn’t do anything to propel me forward. I spend a lot of time criticizing myself. I’m too lazy (wait…did I not just write all that busy-ness above?!), too fat, too sensitive, too bossy. Too this. Too that. I compare myself to others ALL THE TIME and it does nothing but contribute to unhappiness. I’m a confident person; or at least, I used to be. But all this “too” is wearing me down. I don’t think I’m alone here either – I think a lot of us gals are our own worst enemies, spending too much time on the too’s.

 Which ones are giving me energy and strength? 

At the risk of sounding like a lulu-wearing, mat-toting yogi, I do have to proclaim my love for yoga. It’s a new love, so yoga and I are still in that can’t-get-enough-of-each-other, does-no-wrong stage, but I hope it lasts. I HATE working out. But when I’m sedentary, I feel fat. When I feel fat, I’m unkind to myself. And when I’m unkind to myself, I’m not happy. It’s an easy cycle to recognize, and so so easy to break out of through yoga.

How can I start right this very moment to spend more time on the sweet spot activities?

Ok, so back to that cycle above. I’ve found that if I can get to the yoga studio at least 3 times a week, I feel great. I feel relaxed, yet energized, and I don’t feel like I need to beat myself up over enjoying a bit of something sweet. But I think I need a goal. So, here it is: through thrice-weekly practice, I’d like to be able to do a perfect downward dog. (There should probably be a time specified here, but how long does one need to downward dog like a pro? Damned if I know!).


And that’s it! Joy Juice #1. How are you spending your days?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs